Gourmet Baked Goods

http://citrusspicebakery.com (801) 923-4117 citrusspicebakery@gmail.com

Custom wedding and party cakes, cupcakes, sugar cookies, and French macarons.

All my products are made to be the most delicious you've ever eaten! Painstakingly tested recipes, innovative baking techniques, and the very best ingredients set them apart. Premium chocolates, Madagascar vanilla beans, real butter, fresh fruit, and premium toasted nuts.

Everything I make is from scratch, including my fondant, sugar paste and modeling chocolate.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Chocolate Orange Cake

Last month, my nephew left for an LDS mission, and I made him a cake to say "good luck."  This month, his brother is leaving, so I asked him what kind of cake he would like.  He said, "Surprise me!"  So, I decided to make a chocolate orange cake.  I used my favorite chocolate cake recipe, and added in a teaspoon of pure orange extract and the zest of an orange.  Then I filled and frosted the cake with tangy vanilla cream cheese frosting, and topped it with homemade chocolate curls and candied orange peel.  Making the chocolate curls was really fun.  I found a video online that showed how to do it.  I added 1/4 teaspoon of orange extract to the chocolate before I melted it, so the curls would be chocolate orange flavored.


The candied orange peel was fun to make too, and the texture and flavor is a lot like those sugar coated gummy orange candies, except less sweet, and with just a hint of bitterness.


After these decorative elements were done, I put them on the cake, and really liked the final effect.


Congratulations on your mission, Anthony!  I hope you like your cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment