Gourmet Baked Goods

http://citrusspicebakery.com (801) 923-4117 citrusspicebakery@gmail.com

Custom wedding and party cakes, cupcakes, sugar cookies, and French macarons.

All my products are made to be the most delicious you've ever eaten! Painstakingly tested recipes, innovative baking techniques, and the very best ingredients set them apart. Premium chocolates, Madagascar vanilla beans, real butter, fresh fruit, and premium toasted nuts.

Everything I make is from scratch, including my fondant, sugar paste and modeling chocolate.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Harry Potter Cake

One of my friend's daughters wanted a chocolate Harry Potter cake for her birthday, so I made a sheet cake, carved it like a book, and covered it with homemade vanilla fondant.  I swirled in a little brown food dye to make the fondant look like parchment paper, and used a ridged pastry tip to create the look of book pages around the edges.  I made a golden snitch out of a Lindt white chocolate truffle, which I painted with yellow food dye and rolled in gold sprinkles, and then attached sugar paste wings, also sprinkled with gold sprinkles.  I dyed some sugar paste black and made Harry's famous glasses, and then dyed some sugar paste brown for his wand.  I was especially pleased with the wood grain look I was able to achieve on the wand!  I dipped a toothpick in the brown dye and made horizontal stripes across the wand, and then pulled the stripes down with a paint brush to get the desired effect.  I put all the decorations on the cake, and then used a paintbrush to write the spells and birthday message in black food dye, so it would look like ink on parchment.  I was pleased with the result, and Bekah really loved her cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment