Gourmet Baked Goods

http://citrusspicebakery.com (801) 923-4117 citrusspicebakery@gmail.com

Custom wedding and party cakes, cupcakes, sugar cookies, and French macarons.

All my products are made to be the most delicious you've ever eaten! Painstakingly tested recipes, innovative baking techniques, and the very best ingredients set them apart. Premium chocolates, Madagascar vanilla beans, real butter, fresh fruit, and premium toasted nuts.

Everything I make is from scratch, including my fondant, sugar paste and modeling chocolate.

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Cheery Cherry Cupcakes

When it comes to cake flavors, I'm always looking to try new things.  One of the things I like is to take an established flavor profile from something that does the flavor artificially and make it using real ingredients.  So today I experimented with making my own version of "cherry chip" cake mix.  Cherry chip cake mix has a slightly almond flavored white cake base with little red bits of artificial cherry flavor mixed in - sort of like the "blueberries" in a lot of blueberry muffin mixes.  Ew.  I didn't want to just use maraschino cherries, because that flavor can be powerfully strong in a not-good way.  So, I turned to cherry pie filling.  I drained the cherries out of some cherry pie filling, rinsed and dried them, and then cut them into little bits.  Then I stirred these into my favorite white cake recipe and baked it up!  For the frosting, I used some of the cherry gel that I had drained off to flavor my Swiss meringue buttercream cherry.  For fun, I added one maraschino cherry to the top.  These are so pink and cheerful!  I baked some cupcakes and a single 9-inch layer, to see how both would perform.  They came out wonderfully moist and soft, with great cherry flavor, but definitely not artificial!  Test successful!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment