Gourmet Baked Goods

http://citrusspicebakery.com (801) 923-4117 citrusspicebakery@gmail.com

Custom wedding and party cakes, cupcakes, sugar cookies, and French macarons.

All my products are made to be the most delicious you've ever eaten! Painstakingly tested recipes, innovative baking techniques, and the very best ingredients set them apart. Premium chocolates, Madagascar vanilla beans, real butter, fresh fruit, and premium toasted nuts.

Everything I make is from scratch, including my fondant, sugar paste and modeling chocolate.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

White Chocolate Cake

Chocolate cakes are always moist and tender because of the cocoa butter contained in the chocolate. White cake recipes have a tendency to turn out dry, however. So I was intrigued when I read the recipe for "White Chocolate Whisper Cake" in "The Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum. I highly recommend this book, although it is older, so the recipes are made in 9-inch by 1 1/2-inch cake pans, which are now hard to find, as tastes have trended towards taller cakes. I have been able to follow the recipes fine, however, using 8-inch by 2-inch pans instead.

In any case, I wanted to try out the white chocolate cake, which contains cocoa butter for a moistening quality. You do have to be sure to buy real white chocolate for this - check the ingredients for cocoa butter and no other kind of oil or fat. 


The first test batch was a 1/4 recipe, made into 6 cupcakes. I frosted them with vanilla whipped American buttercream. They were incredibly light and tender, and very moist. Notably, they did not taste like white chocolate at all.


Having conducted a successful small test, I mixed up a full recipe and divided it among 4 six-inch by 2-inch cake pans. I made a seeded raspberry puree and then reduced it with just a bit of sugar, and then folded the reduction into French buttercream for the most delicious raspberry concoction I have ever tasted.


I torted the 4 cake layers into 8, and then assembled them into two mini cakes, for two of my friends who have their birthdays this week. I made some chocolate flowers to go on top. White chocolate raspberry bliss!


No comments:

Post a Comment