Gourmet Baked Goods

http://citrusspicebakery.com (801) 923-4117 citrusspicebakery@gmail.com

Custom wedding and party cakes, cupcakes, sugar cookies, and French macarons.

All my products are made to be the most delicious you've ever eaten! Painstakingly tested recipes, innovative baking techniques, and the very best ingredients set them apart. Premium chocolates, Madagascar vanilla beans, real butter, fresh fruit, and premium toasted nuts.

Everything I make is from scratch, including my fondant, sugar paste and modeling chocolate.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Happy Birthday to ME!

OK, OK, my birthday is actually December 27, but my husband and I decided to move it to June 27 last year, and it has been a really good change.

When I was a kid, having my birthday on December 27 was no big deal.  My mom did an excellent job of making sure my birthday was definitely separate from Christmas, and I didn't mind having it be so close one bit.  My sister's birthday is December 29, so we were both in the same boat!  But, now that I have my own family and three children, the holidays have gotten a lot more chaotic, and by the time my birthday rolls around, I am tired of hauling my kids around, eating rich food, and I just want to do nothing.  But, that's not very fun for a birthday!  Celebrating on June 27th, I can be excited about it instead of feeling tired out.  Plus... it's in the summer, so I can make this for myself:


Ah, delicious, crisp-butter crust, sweet, creamy, cool vanilla pastry cream, and fresh, sweet-tart summer fruit.  Yes, it is wonderful to have a June birthday!

Shortbread Pastry Crust

1 1/4 cup (6 ounces) unbleached all purpose flour
1 stick (4 ounces) slightly softened unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup (2 ounces) granulated sugar
pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-3 teaspoons cold water

Heat oven to 375. Place flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine.  Add butter and pulse 10 times.  Add vanilla and turn to "on." Add water one teaspoon at a time just until the dough starts to stick to itself a bit.  Turn out onto a floured countertop and knead until smooth.  Roll out to a 12 inch circle, then roll the dough up onto your rolling pin and unroll over a 9 inch tart pan.  Lift the sides of the dough and lower down into the pan.  Cut the dough flush with the top of the pan and prick the bottom all over with a fork.  Bake 16-20 minutes until golden and fragrant.  Cool completely before filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment