Gourmet Baked Goods

http://citrusspicebakery.com (801) 923-4117 citrusspicebakery@gmail.com

Custom wedding and party cakes, cupcakes, sugar cookies, and French macarons.

All my products are made to be the most delicious you've ever eaten! Painstakingly tested recipes, innovative baking techniques, and the very best ingredients set them apart. Premium chocolates, Madagascar vanilla beans, real butter, fresh fruit, and premium toasted nuts.

Everything I make is from scratch, including my fondant, sugar paste and modeling chocolate.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Chocolate Raspberry Petits Fours

I came upon a new recipe for poured fondant that looked better to me than other recipes I'd tried. It contains melted chocolate (dark or white) and doesn't require a candy thermometer!


I made a half recipe of chocolate cake and spread it to make a thin layer in a half sheet pan. I baked it and let it cool, and then spread half of it with raspberry French buttercream. Then I placed the other half of the cake on top and froze the whole thing, so I could cut it cleanly into small squares.

After cutting one inch squares of cake, I placed them on a cooling rack over a baking sheet and made the poured fondant. I placed the warm fondant into a piping bag with a medium round tip and piped the fondant over each square of cake, so it flowed down the sides, coating each piece. After a few minutes, the fondant set up, and I transferred the little squares of cake to mini muffin liners. Then I topped each with a modeling chocolate blossom.

I was quite pleased with the recipe. While still very sweet, it was not as cloying as traditional poured fondant recipes, and was quite easy to work with.


White Poured Fondant Icing

9 cups Confectioners Sugar (1080g)
1/2 cup Corn Syrup, slightly warmed in the microwave (120ml)
4 oz white chocolate chips (112g)
1 tsp Vanilla or other flavor Extract
1/2 - 1 cup Water, Warm (adjust amount for desired consistency)

Mix Method:
Place the sifted confectioners sugar (and cocoa powder if you are making the chocolate variation) in the bowl of your Kitchen Aid Mixer with the paddle attachment.
Add the warmed corn syrup and the melted chocolate all at once, and continue to mix smooth.
Add the warm water starting with a half cup first, then add more to adjust to your desired consistency.
Add extract of your choice and food color as desired.

To Make CHOCOLATE ICING:
Replace the White Chocolate with Dark Chocoloate chips
Replace 1/2 cup of the Confectioners Sugar with Unsweetened Cocoa Powder. 


1 comment: